The Mãe D’Água (translated “Mother of the Water”) was built in 1746 to provide the city with drinking water. Currently, the reservoir is a water museum and is often used for art exhibitions. The interior space is composed of marble and stone. Water trickles down an ancient fountain into the aqueduct, it’s rhythmic sounds are lost in the space’s 10-second reverberation.
The performance combined horn, on-site field recordings and live electronics amplified through four PA speakers surrounding the audience.
Performance by Jen Reimer + Max Stein
Curated by Sound Development City
Photos by Nik Panique